[mythtv-users] Antennas

Bret Clark bac52266 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 11:44:53 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 12:17 AM, DaveD wrote:

> I've been thinking about getting one of these
> http://www.smarthome.com/69123/Lava-Electronics-HD-2605-Remote-Control-HDTV-Antenna/p.aspx
>
> and putting it on a pole at the top of one of our trees.  Anyone ever
> tried an antenna in a tree?  Will the sway cause problems when windy?
> I'm not worried about the mechanics or electrical details (I'm an
> electrical engineer), but I'm wondering if a moving antenna (wind
> sway) can lock onto the signal properly.

I use that antenna (actually the 2608), it pulls in all of the stations
I should get and I'm 50 miles away from the towers, but quality is
questionable...I guess I see how well it deals with New England Ice/Snow
this winter.  The rotor is a novelty as I discovered that once pointed
to towers I rarely use it, not to mention it's difficult to know where
your antenna is pointed since the control box provides no directional
feedback.  If the Lava antenna doesn't survive a New England winter,
I'll probably go with a Clearsteam 2 Antenna as I've heard good reports
on it.
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/C2-Clearstream-Long-Range-Indoor-Outdoor-HDTV-antenna.html

As for using it on a tree, not sure I would go that route, can you mount
it on a roof top? Tree's will have minimal affect on the signals coming
through them.