[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Diego Rodriguez Gonzalez gran.diego at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 07:16:56 UTC 2013

El 14/11/13 03:13, Jon N escribió:
> [...]
>
> I was hoping to use the HDMI on the card for both video and audio to
> my AV receiver.  But on the Debian mailing list I was told that it
> either isn't possible, or it is but it will probably be very
> difficult.  It seems to be that steering the digital audio to the PCIe
> slot so it can make it's way to the video card's HDMI isnt' something
> that could be done easily, although apparently it's done on Windows,
> so it's technically possible.
>
> So basically, I have 2 questions.  How much, if any, success have any
> of you had doing this?  I realize I didn't narrow down the hardware
> choices much (Haswell motherboards & discrete Nvidia graphics cards),
> so I guess success or failures with certain hardware combo's might
> help me choose what I might buy.
My combo FE/BE (ubuntu based) was an AMD Athlon in an AMD 780G
motherboard with an embedded ATI HD3200 feeding my TV thru HDMI. No
problems beside the usual problems with ATI videocards at that time
(lack of accelerated video decoding support on Linux, and v-sync tearing
problems), so I disabled embedded video and installed a cheap PCIe
NVidia G210 card. I disabled onboard sound card (just to avoid mistakes
on setup), plugged the TV thru HDMI, installed the NVidia propietary
drivers and that was it. It's still going on fine.

> But the other question is, how well the built in graphics that is part
> of the Haswell CPU's work as a MythTV front end?  Maybe the Nvidia
> card isn't needed at all.  I often will be watching one recorded show
> (I almost never do, or am interested in, Picture in Picture) and
> recording 2 (HDHomeRun tuners) shows while browsing the internet.

I would try first with the embedded video card. You can always buy an
nvidia card later on if it doesn't fit your needs. CPU-wise, anything
will do. My current setup has just an Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (3Ghz) with
4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM, and an internal PCI dual DVB-T tuner, and it can
record two shows (sometimes more, if some of them share the same
multiplex) and commercial-flagging and recoding on the fly while playing
a previously recorded show.