[mythtv-users] Antennas

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Fri Nov 15 05:17:16 UTC 2013

Comcast has screwed us for the last time!  They have encrypted all
stations, even the local channels.  I thought the FCC had rules against
that, but I guess the corporate lobby is just too big.  We surfs have
little clout against the big money-grubbers.

So, I'm going to try an antenna and am looking for advice.  We are north
of Seattle near Everett and are near the top of a hill. According to
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/, we should get strong
signals on 13 channels, which include the ones we watch (and record) the
most.  Unfortunately, there are some big trees to the south, in between
us and the towers in Seattle.  Will they interfere with our reception?

I've been thinking about getting one of these
http://www.smarthome.com/69123/Lava-Electronics-HD-2605-Remote-Control-HDTV-Antenna/p.aspx
and putting it on a pole at the top of one of our trees.  Anyone ever
tried an antenna in a tree?  Will the sway cause problems when windy?
I'm not worried about the mechanics or electrical details (I'm an
electrical engineer), but I'm wondering if a moving antenna (wind sway)
can lock onto the signal properly.

Advice appreciated.

Dave D.