[mythtv-users] OFF TOPIC: Text Editor(s) ?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 04:32:29 UTC 2013

On 11/14/13 10:01 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> Become a warrior in the fight to rid the core of emacs and free the memory
>> from its wasteful usage.  Uncle RAM wants YOU!  Install today!
>>
>> (As they say, emacs is a wonderful operating system, only lacking a good
>> text editor.)
> A lot of this strife dates to the days when running a text editor was
> a serious strain on a system.  These days, "Eight Megabytes And
> Constantly Swapping" just sounds really dated.
>
> Today, you can run whatever editor you like and the system won't bat
> an eye.  Even if it's Escape Meta Alt Control Shift.
>
> Eric
> ^X^S^X^C

I remember those days all too well. I go back to when we had 64k to play
with, where the system chewed up a fair chunk, leaving 39k to actually
work with.
And I still remember how to use a vampire tap.
And PC school, ran by IBM, back when the IBM employees had to stand up
and sing the IBM anthem. (Don't get me started on IBM's notion of robust
tools to diagnose problems with broken ring...)

If I really dig around, I probably still have my old Commodore gear and
I know I have an old Alpha station and pizza box Sun station in my
storage unit. When I switched to LCD monitors, I kept the Sun box to
look at diagnostic imaging off of my single remaining CRT when someone
in the family got injured.
Now, of course, LCD/plasma/etc are much finer in resolution, so I can
use any computer to view them (I usually use my Mac, largely because
it's my primary workstation).