[mythtv-users] Strange time counter issue with recent NBC OTA recordings

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 02:53:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> It seemed a little unlikely to me that this would be a seektable
>> issue, given that it's happening specifically (and only) on NBC
>> recordings starting a couple of weeks ago.  Also, just like previous
>> frame rate issues I recall in the past with NBC is does *not* occur
>> with things like reality shows, but rather only with things like
>> dramas were they tend to do this sort of stuff.
>>
>> However as a test I decided to try a seektable rebuild on one of the
>> shows with this issue.  Whatever is going on with the frame rates or
>> whatever there is apparently enough to trip up that reuild.  The
>> progress went up to a bit over 80% (exactly 50 minutes / 60 minutes),
>> and failed with this:
>>
>> mythcommflag --rebuild --chanid 1041 --starttime 20131111220100
>> 2013-11-14 17:59:00.590753 C  mythcommflag version: fixes/0.25
>> [vmythtv-0.25.3] www.mythtv.org
>> 2013-11-14 17:59:00.590830 C  Qt version: compile: 4.8.4, runtime: 4.8.4
>> MythTV Commercial Flagger, building seek table for:
>>     The Blacklist - General Ludd
>> Rebuild started at Thu Nov 14 17:59:00 2013
>> Rebuild completed at Thu Nov 14 18:01:09 2013
>> 2013-11-14 18:01:09.077420 E  decoding error
>>             eno: Input/output error (5)
>>
>> Strange one...like I said...progress counter aside, these shows
>> actually play perfectly.
>>
> For years, MythTV has been playing whack-a-mole with dealing with accurate
> position/duration display and seeking, for recordings with variable frame
> rates and discontinuous timecodes.  In 0.27, that problem has been fixed
> "once and for all" (at least I hope).  It's quite likely that your suspicion
> is right and your NBC affiliate is doing something new like splicing 720p
> ads into the 1080i show.  I assume you're only seeing this for new
> recordings.
>
> BTW, you always see this "error" in the mythcommflag log.  This particular
> one just means it reached EOF.
>
> Jim

Awesome!  Great to hear...now I'm more motivated to update :D.  Thanks
for the explanation.  Yes, this just started with new NBC recordings
as of a few weeks ago.  I'm sure they're doing something odd/new
lately.  I recall they used to mix interlaced and non-interlaced
content all the times and that sort of thing.

Thanks again!
Tom