[mythtv-users] OFF TOPIC: Text Editor(s) ?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 02:14:02 UTC 2013

On 11/14/13 8:58 PM, James Linder wrote:
> On 15/11/2013, at 7:57 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> A friend was just over to help out with Linux and MythBuntu (more on that later).
>> During the course of troubleshooting, he looked through a web site other(s) here had already referenced.
>>   ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#HDMI_output_does_not_work )
>> He zipped through it very fast (or at least a LOT faster than I would have), and used a text editor to create one of the files the web page recommended.
>>
>> I can't recall the name of the Text Editor, but I know it had only two digits, and I think one was the letter "V'.
>> If I was only interested in that text editor, I could (re)ask him the name of if...
> This is near top top of the list of flame-bait controversy
>
> IMHO vi is quite the best editor but it has a steep learning curve. After using for <blush> 35 years I read the man some 4 times a year to learn a new thing every time (say eg /find me/s+5)
>
> When I taught for Hewlett Packard I showed my classes that a 1 page cheat sheet could have you productive and working in a morning. I know of nobody who ever learned to use vi who said "that was a waste, I wish I had not ..."
>
> You can google for lots of tutorials and help in various guises.
> The rest is what you want ...
> James

I've always said, the best editor is the one that both does the job and
what one is most proficient with.
For some, it's vi, for others, emacs.
For the rest, it's nano/pico, joe, MC's editor, etc.
And yes, I've used all of the above.

But, knowing how to use vi is most certainly the best way to go. If one
works in IT, one may well have that as the only editor on a company
system and addition of another editor has to go through change management.