[mythtv-users] I've had a really bad moment here

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Nov 14 20:28:17 UTC 2013

> Tonight, I tried to re-purpose a Windows box for a MythBuntu box.
> But, Ubuntu refused. Got a "unable to find a medium containing a live file
> system" from the Mythbuntu DVD.
> Tried a few end-arounds, same deal.
> To the point of wanting to to *BSD.

The only time I experienced an issue like that (assuming your talking
about just booting off the lived DVD, not post installation) was when
I had a flaky DVD drive that didn't like some DVD media, and often
even the drive used to burn the media can make a difference.  In fact,
I have seen this countless times installing a Windows image I
developed for my agency, when I burned disks on our plextor duplicator
they wouldn't install in almost half of our machines, had to scrap
5,000 dvd's in favor of another brand.  I don't recall the brand we
finally settled on, but I am pretty sure that we found DVD-RW (as
opposed to +RW) had fewer issues when we burned them in our
duplicator.

Always keep in mind that burned disks are actually quite different
than those mass produced by the likes of MS.  If they work in one
system, but not another, then it's probably the drive/media
combination causing you headaches.

Also, always take the time to compare hashes of any OS .iso you
download.  The mythbuntu.org download page has the option to download
the md5sums, then you can use any tool you like to compare it to an
md5sum of your downloaded iso.

> It also makes me reconsider my job application with Canonical.

How will anything get better if they don't hire folks who want to make
it better?