[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Nov 14 17:30:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Jon N <jdnandroid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did see something about audio hardware on the video card somewhere
> or other (I've looking in a lot of places, and no longer remember
> where I saw everything).  But when I check the specs of a couple of
> Nvidia cards on Newegg it did not list anything.

Support for this is just assumed on all cards with HDMI output.  I
don't think I've ever seen an HDMI card that didn't have either native
sound support or SPDIF passthrough.

> Maybe I would have to go back the the Debian group for the next
> question.

Given the quality of their answers so far, I wouldn't recommend that.

>  Since I will end up with 2 audio chipsets in the computer,
> 1 on the Mobo and 1 on the video card I wondering how to make sure the
> one I want gets chosen.

You just need to set the appropriate default sound device.  See:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#HDMI_output_does_not_work

Eric