[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Jon N jdnandroid at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 17:25:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Nick Morrott
<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 November 2013 02:48, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> On 11/13/2013 9:13 PM, Jon N wrote:
>>>
>>> I was hoping to use the HDMI on the card for both video and audio to
>>> my AV receiver.  But on the Debian mailing list I was told that it
>>> either isn't possible, or it is but it will probably be very
>>> difficult.  It seems to be that steering the digital audio to the PCIe
>>> slot so it can make it's way to the video card's HDMI isnt' something
>>> that could be done easily
>>

>> Got a link to the mailing list thread? That would be an amusing read. Many
>> of us have been doing exactly that for years. Perhaps the user on the
>> mailing list doesn't realize that every modern graphics card contains its
>> own audio core, and you're not attempting to "steer" anything anywhere.
>
> Useful information from the most recent post to that thread from Dan Ritter:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html
>
> There you go; now you can be aware of it.
>   3.1 Pre-Azalia:
>
>   Some older GPUs included a connector to receive S/PDIF audio
>   from a separate sound card, and route that audio over HDMI. This
>   document does not cover such devices at all.
>
>   3.2. Azalia:
>   Newer GPUs include a fully-fledged sound card, implemented
>   according to the Intel HD-audio ("Azalia”) specification. This
>   document covers such devices.
>

> Nick

I didn't see that post until after I had posted here, thanks.  I did
go and read part of the info from the link, and it seems all good
news.  In the reply to the message from Nick a short while ago I was
still wondering if there is anything I will have to do to select which
hardware will be used for sound.  Although I would like to use the the
video card's HDMI connector for everything (such as opening a video in
my browser), getting MythTV working with sound will be my first
priority.

I should add that I am not a 'power user', and I haven't really had to
install or configure any new (major, at least) hardware or software
for years.  So when I'm trying to imagine what steps will be necessary
to get this working I'm mostly drawing a blank.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jon