[mythtv-users] MySQL problem on a fresh 0.26.0 install

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 14:57:39 UTC 2013

I found the following on http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_install_MythTV

Not sure if it will help...

 Missing timezone support

Starting with firmware 3.7.1, mythtv (I tested with 0.26pre) complains
about missing timezone support. In case you hit this problem, install
timezones into mysql:

> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p mysql

This installs timezone info from the NAS (which is located in
/usr/share/timezone) to mysql. *Unfortunately, the information for UTC is
missing on the NAS, leaving mythtv still unstartable. *

As I could not figure out a clean way how to generate the UTC timezone
information, I simply executed the mysql script for the UTC timezone on my
linux box and pasted the insert statements into the mysql on the NAS:

> mysql -u root -p mysql
INSERT INTO time_zone (Use_leap_seconds) VALUES ('N');
SET @time_zone_id= LAST_INSERT_ID();
INSERT INTO time_zone_name (Name, Time_zone_id) VALUES ('UTC', @time_zone_id);
INSERT INTO time_zone_transition_type (Time_zone_id,
Transition_type_id, Offset, Is_DST, Abbreviation) VALUES
(@time_zone_id, 0, 0, 0, 'UTC');
ALTER TABLE time_zone_transition ORDER BY Time_zone_id, Transition_time;
ALTER TABLE time_zone_transition_type ORDER BY Time_zone_id, Transition_type_id;

I am not sure if this is the recommended way but it seems to work, as
mythtv starts thereafter.