[mythtv-users] Alternatives to lossless transcode

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Nov 14 08:57:00 UTC 2013

On 14/11/2013 05:57, mark wrote:
> I've gone back and re-looked at a few segments to try and see if there
> is audio out of sync (using --fifodir) - to be honest if there is it is
> very very slight. The ProjectX cut file audio probably leads the video
> by as much as the --fifodir audio lags the video, it is very very
> slight. Probably less of a difference than what is introduced by the
> transmission path and electronic processing circuits of the various
> connected sound system devices.

mythtranscode in --fifodir mode performs cutting carefully dropping or
inserting frames to ensure the sync between the data in the two fifos
is continuously maintained, so I believe that any lack of sync you are
seeing has to be either a problem with the source or with
mythtranscode's interpretation of the source. The outputting algorithms
should in theory produce perfect results (to within a frame period).

Cheers,
	Paul.