[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 03:13:50 UTC 2013

On 14 November 2013 02:48, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 9:13 PM, Jon N wrote:
>>
>> I was hoping to use the HDMI on the card for both video and audio to
>> my AV receiver.  But on the Debian mailing list I was told that it
>> either isn't possible, or it is but it will probably be very
>> difficult.  It seems to be that steering the digital audio to the PCIe
>> slot so it can make it's way to the video card's HDMI isnt' something
>> that could be done easily
>

> Got a link to the mailing list thread? That would be an amusing read. Many
> of us have been doing exactly that for years. Perhaps the user on the
> mailing list doesn't realize that every modern graphics card contains its
> own audio core, and you're not attempting to "steer" anything anywhere.

Useful information from the most recent post to that thread from Dan Ritter:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html

There you go; now you can be aware of it.
  3.1 Pre-Azalia:

  Some older GPUs included a connector to receive S/PDIF audio
  from a separate sound card, and route that audio over HDMI. This
  document does not cover such devices at all.

  3.2. Azalia:
  Newer GPUs include a fully-fledged sound card, implemented
  according to the Intel HD-audio ("Azalia”) specification. This
  document covers such devices.

Nick