[mythtv-users] State of blu-ray support?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:43:14 UTC 2013

On 11/13/13 9:51 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Raymond Wagner
>> <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want to get technical, we'll need a couple orders of
>>> magnitude higher
>>> storage capacity before we can do 3D video.
>> I think displays and cameras are more of the limiting factors than
>> storage capacity, don't you think?
>
> No.  We have light-field cameras and holographic displays.  You just
> need such a high volume of data to drive them, they're practical.

If practical is a refresh rate of every two seconds. That was the best
of the last unit I saw demonstrated. Storage aside, there is a *lot* of
data to be tossed about to make that holographic image happen.
I'll not even go into processing power utilized by light field cameras
and I personally own one.

>> In any case, your message isn't very clear and could easily be
>> misinterpreted by someone looking for Blueray [sic] support.
>
> To clarify, the current stereo support in MythTV is designed for
> certain stereo DVB broadcasts, where both angles are stored in a
> single, standard resolution video frame, and basically amounts to
> ensuring the OSD displays properly.

Isn't a good thing to get old tech that is in common usage right before
one considers diving into the bleeding edge of, so far, not commercially
available technology?