[mythtv-users] State of blu-ray support?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Nov 13 17:08:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 10:01 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> In any case, all of the holographic displays I've read about were
>> essentially experimental prototypes with ridiculously low resolutions
>> and high costs.
>

> Sort of.  They're typically extremely high resolution, on the order of
> several hundred megapixels.  []
> the traditional concept of resolution in pixels doesn't cleanly apply.

I was referring to resolution in terms of the ability to resolve
detail in the image, not in a pixel count, or rather, voxel count in
this case.

A 2 megapixel 2D image has much higher resolution than a 2 megavoxel 3D image.

> I'm referring to storage on mediums such as optical disks.  A paltry 50GB is
> nowhere near enough to store a high quality, feature length 3D film.

But if we're ignoring cost of displays, there's no reason to stick
with optical disks.  There's no reason I can think of why you wouldn't
be able to put a full length 3D film on an SSD not physically larger
than a VHS tape, for example (under the assumption that a magnetic
disk could not dump its data fast enough).  Or, if magnetic disks are
fast enough, then we already have a storage technology which can do
the job for less cost than buying a movie on VHS in the early 80's.
This is the sort of thing that could have saved Blockbuster. :)

Eric