[mythtv-users] State of blu-ray support?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Nov 13 16:21:47 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 10:01 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> On 11/13/2013 9:29 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>> I think displays and cameras are more of the limiting factors than
>>> storage capacity, don't you think?
>>
>> No.  We have light-field cameras and holographic displays.  You just need
>> such a high volume of data to drive them, they're practical.
> This must be some definition of the word "practical" with which I was
> not previously familiar.

Mistype... they're _not_ practical.

> In any case, all of the holographic displays I've read about were
> essentially experimental prototypes with ridiculously low resolutions
> and high costs.

Sort of.  They're typically extremely high resolution, on the order of
several hundred megapixels.  The issue is they function similarly to
phased array RADAR systems.  Your pixels are not directly rasterizing an
image, so the traditional concept of resolution in pixels doesn't
cleanly apply.  You're producing an interference pattern, which in turn
produces the desired light field.

> The difficulties with data volumes isn't so much the storage of the
> data, but the ability to move the data around at the appropriate
> rates.

I'm referring to storage on mediums such as optical disks.  A paltry
50GB is nowhere near enough to store a high quality, feature length 3D film.