[mythtv-users] Anybody use Airplay Mirroring with MacOS FE and Apple TV?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 12:17:22 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013, James Cuzella wrote:

> Sounds like a fun setup to try!  I'd be interested to know what the
> streamed video quality is like.
>
> I've recently updated to mythtv 0.27 and was testing out the Airplay
> support.  Streaming from iTunes on a macbook pro works waay better than it
> did in 0.25!  I was also surprised to find that I could stream video from
> iTunes and even my iPhone to my mythtv box (running mythfrontend +
> mythbackend).  However, the sound was all white noise :-\
>
> I was hoping that mythfrontend would support the OSX Mavericks display
> mirroring (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14375) so I could be able to use
> the screen attached to the mythtv box as a secondary display for my macbook
> perhaps with AirParrot (http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/).  Sadly,
> it appears that the macbook does not detect mythfrontend under "System
> Preferences -> Displays -> AirPlay Display".  I didn't want to purchase an
> app that doesn't work for me without an AppleTV.

I haven't had any luck with Airplay and my non-Apple devices since
upgrading to iOS 7. Glad to hear that support is improved in 0.27, mabe
I'll get around to upgrading this weekend.

As for display mirroring, that's something that up until now hasn't been
supported by anything other than an AppleTV. However, some googling last
night showed that it might now work on the Raspberry Pi. When I get home
from work tonight I'll update my Pi and see if it actually works or not.