[mythtv-users] Anybody use Airplay Mirroring with MacOS FE and Apple TV?

James Cuzella trinitronx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 09:01:48 UTC 2013

Sounds like a fun setup to try!  I'd be interested to know what the
streamed video quality is like.

I've recently updated to mythtv 0.27 and was testing out the Airplay
support.  Streaming from iTunes on a macbook pro works waay better than it
did in 0.25!  I was also surprised to find that I could stream video from
iTunes and even my iPhone to my mythtv box (running mythfrontend +
mythbackend).  However, the sound was all white noise :-\

I was hoping that mythfrontend would support the OSX Mavericks display
mirroring (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14375) so I could be able to use
the screen attached to the mythtv box as a secondary display for my macbook
perhaps with AirParrot (http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/).  Sadly, it
appears that the macbook does not detect mythfrontend under "System
Preferences -> Displays -> AirPlay Display".  I didn't want to purchase an
app that doesn't work for me without an AppleTV.