[mythtv-users] Q: Hide channel in guide but allow to use with "Watch TV"?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 12 17:05:16 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 10:01 AM, Dale Quigg wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I'll look into channel guides (although I don't see how this works at
> first glance) and remember that I can input the numbers manually.

It's Channel Groups.  The idea is that you group together some set of
channels and give it a human-readable/-identifiable name.

For example, you create a Channel Group with the channels you watch most
often and call it, "Favorites."  You create another with the sports
channels and call it "Sports" and another with movie channels called
"Movies" and ...

While MythWeb's guide doesn't support/respect Channel Groups (but it can
be set to show only the channels in the Favorites Channel Group), the
mythfrontend guide will use Channel Groups (allowing you to toggle which
one is shown in the guide).  Live TV channel browse mode will also use
groups if you enable:

Browse/change channels from Channel Group
If enabled, Live TV will browse or change channels from the selected
channel group. The "All Channels" channel group may be selected to
browse all channels.

There are also settings:

Remember last channel group
If enabled, the EPG will initially display only the channels from the
last channel group selected. Pressing "4" will toggle channel group.

Default channel group
Default channel group to be shown in the the EPGPressing GUIDE key will
toggle channel group.

And thanks for asking about Channel Groups, which prompted me to quote
the settings for you, which allowed me to see that we have 2 serious
problems in the setting help text that need to be fixed:  1) we're
missing a space/period between "EPG" and "Pressing" in the text for
"Default channel group" and, far more importantly, 2) we have a problem
with the key bindings mentioned in the "Remember last channel
group"/"Default channel group" text.

Mike