[mythtv-users] Audio not working... What should I check?

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Mon Nov 11 15:23:00 UTC 2013

See below

On Nov 11, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Leif Pihl wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>>> On the screen right now is a series of 16 bar graphs.
>>> At the top center, it's labeled AlsaMixer v1.0.26 (maybe 28 - it's a fuzzy photo that I took; I'm in a different room.)
>>> Upper left corner says the following:
>>>  Card: HDA Intel PCH
>>>  Chip: Intel PantherPoint HDMI
>>
>> Ok.  That means that PulseAudio is not active.
>
> Hmmm...  What would it say if PulseAudio WAS active?
>

>> You are using the HDMI connection on the motherboard itself, not a
>> discrete PCI Express graphics card, is that correct?
>
> Yes - motherboard's HDMI interface.
> I suspected the software was going to be tough enough,
> so I wanted the hardware to be as simple (and low cost - eh) as possible and/or practical.
>

>>> The bar graphs show this data, going left to right:
>>>  Master: 41 (bar is roughly 41-ish percent up from the bottom)
>>
>> That's a little low.  I'd recommend that you bump that to 100.  I'm
>> not sure if it really matters with HDMI, though.
>
> I'll see if I can figure it out.
> I'm assuming that if I select it in some way (tab?) that I can use the up-arrow key.
>

>> Underneath the bar, does it show OO or MM?  You want it to say OO (you
>> can toggle this with the m key).
>>
>> Eric
>

> With the SIX exceptions listed below, most of the bar graphs did show the "OO" characters you were looking for.
>
>> For those of you who archive the past messages, this is a response to messages dating from 11/08/13.
> << CLIP >>
>> The bar graphs show this data, going left to right:

I was able to adjust the first ten and last two bar graphs.

Of the first ten, I set them all to 100%
All four of those that I could not adjust started with "S/PD...".
   (I've NOT changed their mode from "OO" to "MM" as of yet.)
The last two (Rear Mic's) could be adjusted, but I left them at 0%.

Still no change regarding the Audio output.

What does the "S/PD..." and so forth stand for?
Should I change their modes from "OO" to "MM", or leave them alone?

>>  Master: 41 (bar is roughly 41-ish percent up from the bottom)
>>  Headphone: 100<>100 (bar is at 100%)
>>  PCM: 100<>100 (bar is at 100%)
>      (BLANK)
>
>>  Front: 100<>100 (bar is at 100%)