[mythtv-users] Audio not working... What should I check?

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Mon Nov 11 15:04:24 UTC 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>> On the screen right now is a series of 16 bar graphs.
>> At the top center, it's labeled AlsaMixer v1.0.26 (maybe 28 - it's a fuzzy photo that I took; I'm in a different room.)
>> Upper left corner says the following:
>>   Card: HDA Intel PCH
>>   Chip: Intel PantherPoint HDMI
>
> Ok.  That means that PulseAudio is not active.

Hmmm...  What would it say if PulseAudio WAS active?

> You are using the HDMI connection on the motherboard itself, not a
> discrete PCI Express graphics card, is that correct?

Yes - motherboard's HDMI interface.
I suspected the software was going to be tough enough,
so I wanted the hardware to be as simple (and low cost - eh) as possible and/or practical.

>> The bar graphs show this data, going left to right:
>>   Master: 41 (bar is roughly 41-ish percent up from the bottom)
>
> That's a little low.  I'd recommend that you bump that to 100.  I'm
> not sure if it really matters with HDMI, though.

I'll see if I can figure it out.
I'm assuming that if I select it in some way (tab?) that I can use the up-arrow key.

> Underneath the bar, does it show OO or MM?  You want it to say OO (you
> can toggle this with the m key).
>
> Eric

With the SIX exceptions listed below, most of the bar graphs did show the "OO" characters you were looking for.

> For those of you who archive the past messages, this is a response to messages dating from 11/08/13.
<< CLIP >>
> The bar graphs show this data, going left to right:
>   Master: 41 (bar is roughly 41-ish percent up from the bottom)
>   Headphone: 100<>100 (bar is at 100%)
>   PCM: 100<>100 (bar is at 100%)
      (BLANK)

>   Front: 100<>100 (bar is at 100%)