[mythtv-users] Improving the remote control

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 23:53:30 UTC 2013

On 9/11/2013 12:48 PM, Mike Carron wrote:

> [...]

On this, I don't use lirc at all for my mce remote. Once it's working
with ir-keytable and a custom map there, lirc isn't actually needed. If
you want to use lirc, then you don't need to change the ir-keytable map
at all. Basically you can use either of these tools to get the ir event
codes into X/myth.
Once I had the map in ir-keytable right, Xorg just picks it up as
another keyboard and the buttons can be used directly in myth.

> Thanks very much to both, I got those buttons working just fine and now my
> next task is to figure out a clean way to resume from suspend using the
> remote.
>

> mike

I have my second frontend working this way, such that a button press on
the remote wakes it from suspend. I'm using a different remote there
however, one that presents itself as a hid keyboard to the computer.
Whether this is possible at all for you comes down the the remote
receiver and whether it'll operate in suspend mode. It also depends on
the motherboard.

I found it took configuration in a few places to get this working for me.
Bios initially, had to make sure sleep was in the right mode. Not sure
which mode that was though, however for me it is one that's suspend to
ram, so there's no fans or anything powered on.
After that, I went through a few things before getting it going, but
this all looks familiar:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/152403/how-do-i-make-changes-to-proc-acpi-wakeup-permanent
In particular this sort of stuff:

|echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/wakeup|

You need to find which usb device the receiver is on and enable it as
wakeup device.
You may also still need the /proc/acpi/wakeup stuff to ensure the pci
usb controller still has power to keep the receiver alive.
After all that, there is a chance that only the power button on the
remote may work to wake it, I do remember reference to some receivers
behaving like that.

If you get stuck somewhere I'll look at the configuration of mine at
home and see if anything there helps, however different mobo/receiver
does make it a bit harder.

Have fun,
Andrew