[mythtv-users] Music channels on Comcast cable

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Sun Nov 10 18:56:53 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:13:50PM -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 11/09/2013 06:21 PM, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 03:41:47PM -0600, William Jacoby wrote:
> >
> >> Don't have Comcast, but my cable provider has a set of audio only
> >> music channels. Maybe this is the case here.
> >
> I also found the Comcast Music channels do not work with mythtv. My
> guess is there is something with the stream that is different from what
> mythtv is expecting, and some coding would need to be done to make it work.

Distant memory from back in the dark days, years ago, when I had a
Comcast DVR says that there used to be a bit of visual info about what
song was playing.  I could be confusing this with even older memories of
Dish TV.  But perhaps there is a very slow-frame-rate video associated
with the channel that confuses the mythtv player. mythtv, as I say, does
flash bits of still video as it attempts to play the channel. It may be
finding a video and synching to it at a too-fast rate, which would
explain the rapid skipping through the audio that I hear. As I say,
mplayer doesn't find any video at all (at least without any extended
command line options, which I haven't tried) - just audio.

Anyway, at least I can use the command-line utility to pipe a music
channel through a player and listen to it that way, if I care to.

mm