[mythtv-users] OT Mail clients (Was: Replying to mailing lists)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Nov 10 09:35:10 UTC 2013

Jay Ashworth wrote:
>The real problem, of course, is that almost *no* email clients understand
>mailing lists; when replying to a mailing list, you address your reply to
>the incoming email's "To" header, rather than the more common "From" header.

..

>Smarter lists will use RFC 2919 compliant headers to tell mail user agents
>to perform special handling, but -- again -- MUAs smart enough to know
>what to do about them are thin on the ground.

Don't suppose you have any hints how to spot which are "good" or "bad" without trying them all and looking at headers ?

I need to change client myself, but as a long term Eudora user, and Mac user, I find the user interface of most modern clients simply "unpalatable" - having all the mailboxes in one tiled window (list of mailboxes down the side, selected mailbox in the main part) is an anathema to me being used to having a separate window for each mailbox. I suppose long time Windows users wonder what all the fuss is about, given that the primary mode for Windows programs is to take over the screen (maximised application window) for that application.

Mailforge offered a lot - being designed to be a replacement for Eudora. Unfortunately it suffers from quite a few issues, some major - and, sorry about this, doesn't include In Reply To or References headers. I know there is a small group working hard on a pretty well ground up rebuild, but it does seem a long time coming.