[mythtv-users] Nvidia chipset motherboard recommendations

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Nov 10 03:11:23 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/2013 8:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Just by the MoBo that has the (PCI) expansion slots you need and supports
>>> the CPU you like (AMD) and throw in something like a $30 nVidia G210.
>>> That
>>> get's you an HDMI connection and VDPAU support.  Newegg is your friend.
>>

>> As long as you never want to do HD - an Nvidia 210 is not enough for
>> that.  In the 200 series Nvidia chips, the 220 is the lowest one that
>> will do full temporal 2x deinterlace and works well with HD video.
>

> By that you mean...
>
> As long as you never want to do complex deinterlacing of HD. The chip will
> do decoding and playback just fine, since that's all performed in a common
> ASIC, however the deinterlacing is performed within the graphics shaders,
> and an GT210 is lacking in that aspect.

The desire to output a 1080p signal to your television is often
misplaced.  Most people are not very sensitive to interlacing
artifacts, which is why the use of interlacing survived the digital
transition.  You may be best served by simply not deinterlacing at
all.

A quality TV typically will have quality interlaced output considering
over half of all broadcasts are interlaced (480i or 1080i).  I
recommend outputting 1080i in its native format and seeing if your
happy with it before spending the extra money on a card that will do
2x Advanced Temporal deinterlacing for you.

On a very large TV, or for videophiles who really notice such things,
quality deinterlacing can be an improvement... but if your sitting at
a typical distance from a moderate sized TV (like my 42" at 10
feet)... you may notice no difference.  I know I didn't really see
much difference... and my wife and kids noticed none... when I started
doing Advanced 2x.