[mythtv-users] Nvidia chipset motherboard recommendations

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Nov 9 20:21:48 UTC 2013

On 11/8/2013 8:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 18:59:44 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was Asus M3N78-EM until now which gave up on me ater a power surge
>>> killed it. This motherboard seems no longer to be in production.
>>>
>>> Can you guys recommend something which is available. Following are my
>>> needs:
>>>
>>> 1. Should be Nvidia chipset to utilise vdpau
>>> 2. Need atleast two PCI slots for the PVR-500
>>> 3. Needs an hdmi socket
>>> 4. Should be a Micro-atx board preferably
>>> 5. AMD board preferred since processors are cheaper.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Rajil
>>>

>> Just by the MoBo that has the (PCI) expansion slots you need and supports
>> the CPU you like (AMD) and throw in something like a $30 nVidia G210.  That
>> get's you an HDMI connection and VDPAU support.  Newegg is your friend.
>
> As long as you never want to do HD - an Nvidia 210 is not enough for
> that.  In the 200 series Nvidia chips, the 220 is the lowest one that
> will do full temporal 2x deinterlace and works well with HD video.

By that you mean...

As long as you never want to do complex deinterlacing of HD. The chip
will do decoding and playback just fine, since that's all performed in a
common ASIC, however the deinterlacing is performed within the graphics
shaders, and an GT210 is lacking in that aspect.