[mythtv-users] Antenna wiring question

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Sat Nov 9 16:21:08 UTC 2013

> That is indeed bad - and presumably satellite over there is just more of
> the bend over, open your wallet, locked down with DRM stuff as well ?

> Posts like yours should be compulsory reading for some of the retards over
> here who claim that our (UK) Freeview & Freesat is sh*t, how we shouldn't
> have a licence fee funded broadcaster (BBC), and we should look across the
> water for inspiration on how TV should work !

I definitely look across the water towards the UK with envy.  Our public
broadcaster is suffering from budget cuts and chronic underfunding.  When they
made the digital transition a couple of years ago, they decided to just shut
down most of their transmitters because they couldn't afford to replace then.
Now places like Kitchener-Waterloo (home of Blackberry), and Moncton (home of
nothing in particular) can't get CBC over the air.

The biggest problem in the private part of the TV industry is that all of the
TV stations have been bought by cable and satellite providers.  Now we are
seeing huge increases in TV bills, giant basic bundles, and general gouging.
The OTA stations have no incentive to have a good OTA infrastucture, since
they can get a lot more money by forcing you to get an overpriced cable/sat
subscription.

Mark