[mythtv-users] Antenna wiring question

Barry Martin Barry_Martin_3 at Q.COM
Sat Nov 9 15:12:37 UTC 2013

Hi Stefan!

After my Comcast bill went up $29 in one month, I decided to start exploring alternatives.

Don't blame you!  Did the same here.

I have an antenna in the storage area (attic for a story-and-a-half house) which goes to a 4-way splitter to feed the three tuners to my Mythbuntu Backend.  Use a 75Ω terminating resistor on the unused splitter terminal.  I also found I needed a pre-amp to boost the signal strength.  Because the antenna farm is only about 15 miles away I had to use a Winegard HDP269 to minimize pixellation when the wind blows and the signal strength suddenly increases/decreases.  (Too much signal will cause the AGC circuits to shut off.)

The Mythbuntu Backend feeds the Mythbuntu Frontends via the Ethernet network.

I originally wanted to also use the one antenna to feed the various TVs for OTA.  Didn't quite work!  If the TVs had sufficient signal that overloaded the Mythbuntu Backend; proper signal levels to the Backend was insufficient for the TVs.  I tried various combinations of amplifiers, attenuators.  Ended up getting a second antenna to feed the TVs; that one also needed a pre-amp due to the 8-way splitter.  (Not all TVs are on the Mythbuntu system.)

Good Luck!