[mythtv-users] Audio not working... What should I check?

Zig jzigpublic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 21:19:06 UTC 2013

On 11/8/2013 3:03 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>
> At a command prompt:
>
> ps -A | grep pulseaudio
>

> Is the you typed above, between the "-A" and the "grep" the pipe symbol?
> (i.e.: shift-"\" on most US keyboards.)
>

> I typed it with the "pipe" symbol, and here is the result:
>
> "2128 ?      00:00:00  pulseaudio"
>
> note that the "pulseaudio" is in red.
>
> What does this mean?
>
>> Yes that is a pipe... it allows you to pass the output of one command
>> to another command.  Here you piped the output of the "ps" (process
>> status) command to grep (GNU Regular Expression Parser , or something
>> like that) that allows you to only see the lines of output your
>> interested in.  You could have just used the "ps" command and found
>> the line you wanted manually... but that's tedious.
>>
>> The output is telling you that Pulse Audio is running with PID
>> (process ID) 2128, is not currently active on any CPU's (the ?), and
>> has used 0 seconds of CPU time.  <at least thats the way I interpet
>> the output of PS... I may be a little off.
>
> ***  OK, so what do I do next to solve the no-audio problem?
>
> (BTW, _HOW_ did this get installed this time, when it wasn't last time?)

Did you install from an Ubuntu iso and then add mythtv?  Or did you
install from a Mythbuntu iso?

I installed from a Mythbuntu iso and I don't have pulseaudio listed in
the ps -A.

Possibly Pulseaudio comes stock with Ubuntu but not Mythbuntu??  Or
possibly you installed some other audio app and pulseaudio tagged along
for the ride?
Ziggy