[mythtv-users] Myth doesn't record onto my NAS

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Nov 8 15:27:16 UTC 2013

> How do you think MythTV would know to use that second directory on the NAS
> in favor of the local directory?

Because correctly configured, the disk scheduler will either balance
IO, balance free space, or a combination of the two... like it is
supposed to.

> I made the same mistake on my first installation of MythTV. Then, I made a
> mistake in defining which storage group to use in my adjustments, then I
> read, re-read and re-re-read the wiki. I was tending to see what I was
> expecting, not what what was present, based upon a misinterpretation of
> storage groups and how they operate.

I suspect that your initial interpretations were correct, however it's
possible that you were being bit by some configuration issue that
prevented things from working properly, as I suspect is the case with
the OP.

> Now, I'm using two different storage groups to record to, based upon
> different recording profiles. Eventually, I'll dispose of the local storage
> groups in favor of an iSCSI NAS setup. After I unhose the server that was in
> storage for a few years and now has a motherboard error.
> Or when I hit the lottery that I don't play and get a nice SAN.   ;)

Separate storage groups for recordings is an unnecessary hassle,
unless you have a reason to locate some recordings elsewhere; such a
wanting to put your favorite shows on a separate drive that gets
backed up regularly or something.