[mythtv-users] Nvidia chipset motherboard recommendations

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 8 12:24:52 UTC 2013

On 11/08/2013 04:08 AM, Rajil Saraswat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was Asus M3N78-EM until now which gave up on me ater a power surge
> killed it. This motherboard seems no longer to be in production.
>
> Can you guys recommend something which is available. Following are my needs:
>
> 1. Should be Nvidia chipset to utilise vdpau
> 2. Need atleast two PCI slots for the PVR-500
> 3. Needs an hdmi socket
> 4. Should be a Micro-atx board preferably
> 5. AMD board preferred since processors are cheaper.

nvidia hasn't made chipsets for x86 boards in many years.

Unless you're buying vintage equipment (and "5. AMD board preferred
since processors are cheaper." seems to indicate you're not since buying
outdated CPU/memory/motherboards is *much* more expensive than buying
modern), you'll have to buy a system with some other chipset and then
add a discrete nvidia video card.  An alternative (but, again, *much*
more expensive) is to buy a motherboard with an integrated nvidia mobile
GPU (i.e. as used in laptops).

Fortunately, though, you can disable the integrated (on mobo or on APU)
GPU in the BIOS and the power usage due to it's being there is negligible.

Mike