[mythtv-users] Question on slow deletion

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 8 12:20:38 UTC 2013

On 11/08/2013 02:47 AM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
> How long before MythTV gets around to slow deletion of a recorded program?

"Delete files slowly" is unrelated to when things are deleted from the
file system. From an external process's perspective, a file is deleted
from the file system immediately, whether MythTV is slowly truncating it
or not.

> Usually, I see it begin instantly.
> Tonight, after an update, I'm seeing zero deletion after a half hour.
> The program doesn't show up in the remote frontend, but shows up on my
> PS3 and plays, while the log shows it deleted.

Time to retain deleted recordings (days)
Determines the maximum number of days before undeleting a recording will
become impossible. A value of zero means the recording will be
permanently deleted between 5 and 20 minutes later. A value of minus one
means recordings will be retained until space is required. A recording
will always be removed before this time if the space is needed for a new
recording.

> As an aside, yesterday I had marked the recordings to not expire via
> mythweb, due to a family medical emergency.
> Not sure it factors in, but more information beats zero information.

Doesn't factor in.

Mike