[mythtv-users] Myth doesn't record onto my NAS

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 06:34:21 UTC 2013

On 11/8/13 1:28 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> A few days ago I realized myth was not using the second directory in
> my Default storage group for storing recordings.  I'm not sure it ever
> was.  It can play recordings from there without issue.  I can move a
> recording from the first to the second and it will still play back.
>  But it only seems to ever create new recordings in the first
> directory.  I came to know this because the drive containing the first
> directory filled up, even though myth was reporting lots of free space
> available.
>
> The first directory is on a drive internal to the backend.  The second
> is on a network-connected NAS, cifs mounted on the backend.  The
> directory has a+rwx permissions.  Any suggestions what to look at next?
>
> -J

How do you think MythTV would know to use that second directory on the
NAS in favor of the local directory?

I made the same mistake on my first installation of MythTV. Then, I made
a mistake in defining which storage group to use in my adjustments, then
I read, re-read and re-re-read the wiki. I was tending to see what I was
expecting, not what what was present, based upon a misinterpretation of
storage groups and how they operate.

Now, I'm using two different storage groups to record to, based upon
different recording profiles. Eventually, I'll dispose of the local
storage groups in favor of an iSCSI NAS setup. After I unhose the server
that was in storage for a few years and now has a motherboard error.
Or when I hit the lottery that I don't play and get a nice SAN.   ;)