[mythtv-users] Intet NUC as frontend?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 01:57:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Mike's JdJ <stepsisters at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am using an Intel DC3217IYR NUC as a Front End

For anyone looking to purchase "today", I would look
at the new Haswell based NUCs with HD4400 (the i3 NUC)
or HD5000 (the i5 NUC) graphics support.  They should
use even less power than the 3rd generation processor
NUCs at only a slight increase in price, and the new GPU
has some additional capabilities (although I do not think
the current Linux driver can use those capabilities yet).
The current weakness for a potential front-end is known
to be the GPU de-interlacing support in Linux.  For some
(those that do not see artifacts, those that can tolerate
artifacts, or those whose TV can support de-interlacing
on its own), that may not be an issue today.  The codes
committed to the master tree by Intel suggests that some
improvements will be seen in the future, but that is the
future.

As many know, Intel has decided to end development
of their reference design desktop motherboards.  The
NUC is where Intel is putting its resources (and moved
at least some of the desktop motherboard team).  It
expects the that (about) 4" x 4" NUC motherboard
(another half inch or so with case) will meet the needs
of most of the consumers who desire desktop systems
(other than the enthusiast market, where all bets are
off, and 200 watts just for the first graphics card is not
unusual).  With Intel announcing some interesting
processors are currently only available in soldered
(not socketed) versions, the entire desktop market
is transitioning in interesting ways.

Gary