[mythtv-users] Anyone have binary RPMs for 0.27 build for Fedora?

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Thu Nov 7 22:43:18 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, November 06, 2013 04:32:48 PM Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 Nov 2013 10:05:08 Richard Shaw wrote:
> > Ok, looks like it's not my fault. I went back through the spec file and
> > saw
> > the same thing, the vers_string was set correctly...
>
> If you're using an exported copy of the source but then applying patches on
> top of that you need to remove the EXPORTED_VERSION file.

Thanks for that info.

> When I added that I didn't anticipate that packagers would thwart me by
> downloading the tarball for the 0.27 tag then diffing that against
> 0.27-fixes, to  create a patch which then gets applied to the 0.27 source.
>
> I didn't expect something so fiendishly complicated, I just naively assumed
> they'd just use the 0.27-fixes tarball* from github  instead in which case
> EXPORTED_VERSION would have contained the correct version information and
> everything would have magically worked.
>
> * https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/fixes/0.27

I learned how to (re)build updated versions of RPMs with additional patches
applied by studying the mythtv.spec from Richard et. al.  From the
packaging/distribution side applying the diff/patch against a release means
that the packagers don't need to store a new ~82MB file in the lookaside cache
to apply a one-line fix as is proposed in
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11937, for example.

I am using Koji, and as of yet, I haven't worked out how to clean out the
lookaside cache in a reliable way in my koji-maint [1] hack script which does
a few things that Koji doesn't do by itself (but I wish it would).

I've also ended up using this method for Asterisk and HandBrake in order to
stay a little closer to upstream development than the released tarballs or
RPMs.

1. https://messinet.com/trac/browser/koji-maint/koji-maint

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E