[mythtv-users] Intet NUC as frontend?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Nov 7 20:54:24 UTC 2013

On 07/11/13 19:19, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/7/2013 12:58 PM, Warpme wrote:
>> (*) - idea is to have fully functional mythtv frontend in form of
>> only 2 files residing on backend machine (with backend/tftp/dhcp/http
>> servers). Those files are downloaded to virgin,diskless ION/NUC hw
>> via BIOS PXE and are giving full, auto-configured MythTv (and only
>> MythTV) frontend experience in form of dedicated appliance.
>
> Does that mean it is a RAM-only system, and when you reboot the
> machine, it is wiped clean?

Yes. In some cases (when user decides to keep /home in RAM and periodic
maintenance is OFF). There is possibility to map /home to server as NFS
share.
Alternatively, things like themecache, web cookies, etc can have
snapshots saved on server and downloaded at boot time.
I'm using this as default as this gives me best compromise between
persistence (/home snapshots) and speed (RAM disk).
Some time ago I compare /home on NFS (GE LAN without traffic) and RAM:
there is no big difference during short tests (few min of walking on
menus, playing etc) - but after week of usage I can say /home on RAM
definitely gives much more predictable responsiveness of UI compared to
/home on NFS.
With NFS there are rare moments when UI chokes while RAM is silk smooth
for me all time. Personally - when I tasted RAM solution - I never look
back on NFS...
br