[mythtv-users] Antenna pointing apps?

Zig jzigpublic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 17:53:32 UTC 2013

On 11/6/2013 8:25 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 03:25 PM, Zig wrote:
>> On 11/6/2013 12:16 PM, Stefan Jones wrote:
>>> Good News: Portland's TV towers are on the west slope of the West
>>> Hills, visible from my neighborhood.
>>>
>>> Bad News: My Myth setup is kind of in the wrong part of the house. I
>>> am having trouble pointing my indoor antenna in a way that picks up
>>> all stations.
>>>
>>> I would really love a live-feedback app that would read the signal
>>> strength from my pcHDTV and/or Hauppague 2250 digital tuner cards.
>>> Select a station, position the antenna, see the signal strength.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of such a utility? A graph would be ideal, but a
>>> numeric read-out would be fine.
>>>
>> ALT-F7 is in the key bindings table for SIGNALMON and it used to
>> bring up an OSD with a signal strength meter when used during live
>> TV.  I used it years ago, and I just tried it now but it doesn't seem
>> to do anything anymore.  I tried it with the pcHD3000 and the HDHR.
>> I can't recall if these were the tuner cards I had when it did work.
>>
>> Does this still work for anyone else out there?
>
> Yes, the MythTV signal monitor should work.  Have you tried other
> themes?  Perhaps yours has a broken OSD?
>
> And you can get around the "MythTV setup is ... in the wrong part of
> the house" problem with a couple of cell phones and a
> friend/kid/SO/...  (The modern-day walkie talkie.)
>
> Mike

The signal monitor does not work for me.  I have tried different themes,
retro-wide, bluetube, mythbuntu, and blue abstract.  the signal osd does
not come up and the live TV keeps playing.  As I recall the video used
to pause while the signal osd was being displayed.

I tried binding SIGNALMON to a different key sequence with no luck. I'm
using the current Mythbuntu with 0.27 fixes.

So I was wondering if anyone else could verify that this actually works
on their current system.  What theme are you using with it? ALT-F7
should bring up a live signal quality monitor during live tv.

Thanks,
Ziggy