[mythtv-users] firmware for the HVR-1800 (vrs. the 2250)

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Thu Nov 7 16:47:16 UTC 2013

Doug Lyle:

Thanks for the information.
So far it's NOT working (more on that down-page), but at least I've got a start.

---SIDE TOPIC--
This is showing my age:
   I remember when I was learning B.A.S.I.C. on my high school's teletype terminal to the MECC mainframe, as well as on the much more popular "Comodore PET" computer.
   Check them out at URLs:
   "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MECC#Computing_facilities"  and
   "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET".
I also did some DOS in the days when the Macintosh Plus was state-of-the-art and Microsoft Windows was not yet out.  But I've not done much command-line style computer usage since then;  I've been mostly using Macintosh and Windows.

At a local library's used book sale, I recently picked up a copy of OReilly's "Linux Pocket Guide (Covers Fedora Linux)" for all of 25 cents.

So, the Linux Pocket guide, in addition to your notes has brought back all sorts of memories from those early days of computing.

Thank you,
now...

---BACK ON TOPIC---

In what may be the root directory, there seemed to have been a directory called "Downloads".
I "cd"-ed into there, and created a new directory called "firmware-temp".
I then used the "wget" command to download all three files from the web site previously mentioned.
I double checked with the "dir" command, all three files (extract.sh  HVR-12x0-...   and  readme.txt) were present.
I then did "sudo chmod a+x extract.sh"
Followed by "./extract.sh".

Here is the result:

   Extracting chw85enc.rom from the windows zip file
   ./extract.sh: 13: ./extract.sh: unzip: not found
   Failed to extract file, aborting

OK, what's up now?
I have a suspicion that since I have MythBuntu installed, and not the entire Ubuntu package, that MAYBE the program called "unzip" is not available.  Am I anywhere near correct?

LP