[mythtv-users] Antenna pointing apps?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Nov 6 19:09:10 UTC 2013

On 06/11/13 18:28, PJR wrote:

> On 06/11/13 18:16, Stefan Jones wrote:
>> Good News: Portland's TV towers are on the west slope of the West
>> Hills, visible from my neighborhood.
>>
>> Bad News: My Myth setup is kind of in the wrong part of the house. I
>> am having trouble pointing my indoor antenna in a way that picks up
>> all stations.
>>
>> I would really love a live-feedback app that would read the signal
>> strength from my pcHDTV and/or Hauppague 2250 digital tuner cards.
>> Select a station, position the antenna, see the signal strength.
>>
>> Does anyone know of such a utility? A graph would be ideal, but a
>> numeric read-out would be fine.

> I'd find such an utility very useful as well.  At the moment my pcTV
> 290e picks up signals from my 2 local TV transmitters that almost
> exactly 180 degrees apart from my location and approx the same distance
> away. I realise that the gain from the back end of my (yagi) antenna
> should be a lot less from the front but nevertheless it happily tunes to
> (almost) all channels from both tx's but some it gets the programme
> guide for and some not. Being able to point the antenna more accurately
> woud be most helpful.

Yes, old yagi installations probably don't replicate the maker's claims,
especially if not in 'free space'.  But do you actually want channels
from both transmitters?  If you only really want one set, just delete
the transports for the other in the channel editor - or maybe you could
define two video sources?  I've never tried that.

John P