Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Nov 6 15:39:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> PS:  This message was automatically sent by my Internet Service Providers'
>>> computer network.
>>> Good people with a fantastic customer service department staffed with local
>>> people,
>>> Sonic.net (at http://www.sonic.net).
>
>> Maybe your provider can suppress automatic mails sent in your name
>> by looking at the list-id header field to avoid shaming you
>> automatically.
>
> Sounds like Sonic.net is full of good local people -- people without a clue.
>
>>> you'll be pleasantly impressed and surprised.
>
> I know I'm surprised and impressed, but probably not the way they want me to be.

What's surprising to me is that the address ends in @gmail.com rather
than @sonic.net.  If I'm using a third party email provider, I
wouldn't want my ISP to be involved any more deeply than routing
packets to/from that provider.  How would my ISP even know that I
received such a message on my gmail account if they didn't have my
gmail password?  That definitely seems fishy to me.

Eric