[mythtv-users] Comcast in Nashua

James R. Van Zandt jrvz at comcast.net
Wed Nov 6 01:38:51 UTC 2013

I live in Nashua NH, and subscribe to Comcast cable.  I have been using
MythTV for several years.  For the last couple of years I have been able
to record only the locally broadcast channels -- all the rest have been
encrypted.  However, since this summer, everything is encrypted.  (I
thought they were required to make the broadcast channels available in
HD and unencrypted.)

I am thinking about getting a CableCard tuner like the HDHomeRun Prime
that can decrypt the channels we subscribe to, but first I would like to
know how many channels I will be able to record.

We have a Motorola DCT700 set top box.  I found its manual and have
learned how to access diagnostics mode, but it does not show the CCI
codes on the "Current Channel Status" page or anywhere else.

Can anyone report how many channels Comcast is marking "copy freely" in
the Nashua area?

               - Jim Van Zandt