[mythtv-users] UK Freeview SD LiveTV on 0.27-fixes resolution problem

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Nov 5 09:20:18 UTC 2013

On 4 Nov 2013, at 18:28, Paul <dazzle at edazzle.net> wrote:

> I have recently moved from 0.24-fixes to 0.27-fixes (to fix slow scheduling) and I use the different resolutions for each type of recording / video I watch.
>
> So I have:
> 1080P: 1920x1080 at 60Hz for HD TV
> 576P: 720x480 at 60hz for SD TV (no 576P at 60hz) although I am currently using 1280x720 at 60hz
> 480P: 720x480 at 60Hz for non-recorded videos

Ok, something wrong here for a start, your subject says UK but all UK TV is 25Hz or 50Hz never 60Hz!

UK Freeview HD is either 1080p25 or 1080i50 usually you will get the best results with MythTV when the display runs at 1080p50 ie 1920x1080 at 50Hz

Again "usually" MythTV works best when everything is scaled to the TV's natural resolution , with a vaguely modern HDTV this will be 1920x1080 at 50hz or 60Hz.

UK SDTV is 720x576 at 50Hz not 720x480.

If you have some 480p modes, I'd guess this is for some US DVDs or something similar, you may need to pick a 720x480 at 60Hz and a 720 at 480@59.94Hz mode as most US material is actually 29.97 or 59.94Hz, again you are probably better off having a 1920x1080 at 59.94Hz mode for all US (&Japan) frame rate stuff.

I'm mentioning all this stuff as if you have the frequencies wrong there's probably a lot wrong between mythtv's mode choices and your TV's EDID or modelines.

> Now when I put on LiveTV  in Freeview SD the picture is zoomed into the top left hand corner only but a recording from Freeview  SD TV displays correctly at the right resolution. Freeview HD displays correctly at 1080p on LiveTV or recording - if I switch to Freeview HD channel then back to Freeview SD channel then the SD channel displays correctly.
>
> At the moment I don't have any custom modelines in my xorg.conf and I have UseEDidFreqs set to false

Maybe this is the root of your problem, why did you choose to set UseEDidFreqs set to false? Probably if you did this it's because your TV doesn't properly report it's HDTV modes if so it's probably necessary to have a set of custom modelines to define the basic HDTV modes and frame rates.

There is a set of standard rates on the MythTV wiki, you probably want to pick out the ones you need from the HDTV EDID modepool:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database

This may also be useful and relevant to your problem:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Working_with_Modelines

The Judder free wiki pages cover quite well sorting out all the frame rate matching up issues and with the problem you report it may well be that some of the match frame rate and size settings mentioned in there are not set correctly on your system.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree

Andre