[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 19:25:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> However your model is way to simplistic.

Actually, all the models so far mentioned are too
simplistic.  There are some interesting papers available
in the research communities (but be aware some are
"sponsored" by special interests) that attempt to dive
deeper into the various intended, and unintended,
consequences.  "Price" of the resulting service is but
one part of the complexity.  There is also the quality
of the resulting content.  There is also the funding of the
sports franchises (if ESPN lost income, the NFL could
go into a salary recession!).  What does seem consistent
in most of the papers (that I have read), is that in most
a-la-cart options that only some (content) would likely
survive.  Whether that lack of diversity(*) is goodness or
badness, or even whether the diversity should be
subsidized in some other way also generates some
interesting issues.  The deeper one goes, the more
branches one must examine.

So, yes, go get that PhD. in Economics and join the
research community debates (who knows, you could
with the next Nobel prize in Economics).

Gary

(*) I understand some people actually like having 100
different shopping channels :-)