[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 4 16:02:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 09:18:30PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> > I think we are going to have to agree to disagree that bundling
> > is a positive.  Bundling saves money only in imperfectly competitive
> > markets.
>
> One more attempt, then I'll stop.
>
> Consider a market with two channels and two subscribers.  Each channel
> needs $10 to be profitable.
>
> Customer A values the channels at $3 and $8, while customer B values
> them at $8 and $3 respectively.  If bundled in a $10 package, both
> customers will buy the bundle and receive services they value above
> the cost of those services.  If unbundled and priced at $5/each, each
> customer will only purchase only one channel, neither of which will be
> profitable and both will fail.  It's lose-lose-lose as the channel

    Not quite. Many people will buy many different channels. It's a large
market and there's plenty of room for different options. Not every option
may survive but that's just basic capitalism.

    Crap will just have to survive on it's own merits which is the expected
norm for just about anything else.

[deletia]

    TV producers will have to follow the same "rules" as everyone else.

    Such a tragedy...