[mythtv-users] hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support.

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 00:24:03 UTC 2013

On 11/1/13 8:09 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/1/2013 8:01 PM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
>> Technically, it's for contractual reasons.
>
> Well... contracts are a legal concern...
>
> Allow HDCP to be bypassed, and you lose your licensing contract (plus
> your HDCP key is revoked, preventing you from continuing to bypass
> HDCP). Try to do it without a licensing contract, and now there's DMCA
> to get you.
True, that is why I mentioned licensing it that way. However, as I read
further into the HDCP agreement, I suspect that the fee would be close
to the penalties listed, which is in the millions of dollars.
In theory, anything can be licensed, in practice, it's often too
expensive to do so.
Well, unless one is Bill Gates.