[mythtv-users] Intel NUC i3 as a frontend?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri May 31 21:56:49 UTC 2013

> multi
> >>
> >> No, I was simply talking about the lack of physical connections:)  I
> >> would have prefered if it was possible to connect the frontend
> >> directly to my DAC or my amplifier.
> >

> > You could always connect to your A/V receiver using HDMI, and let that
> just
> > repeat the video signal to your TV.
>
> Yes, but I don't have any equipment with HDMI-connectors, besides the
> TV (and the frontend at the other end of the wire). I don't think I
> have ever seen a dedicated DAC with HDMI input/passthrough - they
> probably exists, I've just never come across them or had a need to
> look for them.
>
> I only think I've seen HDMI-connectors on integrated surround
> receivers (..which are not allowed anywhere near my living room audio
> set up ;)).

My cheap TV has an SPDIF (coaxial) output on it that I use to feed the
digital audio to my receiver.

You could go with an external USB sound 'card' that has optical or coaxial
spdif, like the turtle beach Micro II... or get a de-embedder (
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hdmi-audio-de-embedder#ht_1495wt_1110 - $99 USD) or
(
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-Premium-HDMI-to-HDMI-SPDIF-RCA-L-R-Audio-Extractor-Converter-/281035186817?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416f00a281
-
$35 USD)

PLEASE NOTE, I HAVE NOT USED ANY OF THESE DEVICES.  I cannot comment on
compatibility or quality.