[mythtv-users] How much is too much CPU?

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Fri May 31 12:56:39 UTC 2013

On 31 May 2013 22:36, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> I know, I know:  you can't be too rich or too thin or have too much CPU,
> but...
>
> So my master backend/frontend machine is a 4 year old 1.83 Core 2 Duo.  It
> does OK but I'm really interested in http live streaming and it clearly
> won't keep up with that.  I could see serving up to 3 HLS clients in our
> house between iDevices and wireless laptops.  I'd like to buy something
> that will last another 4-6 years.
>
> Key loads on the machine:
> -master backend recording and commflagging 1080i/720p MPEG2 streams.
> -frontend
> -MythWeb server
> -HLS transcoding and serving (likely MythExpress)
> -household fileserver (backups and shared pictures, etc)
>
> The box could be commflagging two recordings, displaying another program
> and transcoding up to three streams...and I'm sure mythfilldatabase would
> kick off at the same time!
>
> So, how much CPU would all that need?  Could a Core i5 Dual keep up? Core
> i7 Quad?
>
> I'd like to keep all these functions on one box because I don't have a
> good spot to locate another box.  Also, I think one beefy box is likely to
> cost less than two separate machines and chew up less electricity.
>
> Appreciate any experience that others can offer.
>
> Craig
>
> For HLS streaming you'll want asmany cores are you can get I've got a
i5-2400 Quad and on the default 2 core limit it was't enough to keep up
with a single stream (only just) enabling 4 core decoding makes it works
well

Mythexpress I haven't heard of that anyone have screamshots? I'm currently
running mobilemyth which runs well and have torc also but this fails back
to audio stream too readily compared to mobilemyth

Cheers,

Anthony