[mythtv-users] How much is too much CPU?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri May 31 12:36:22 UTC 2013

I know, I know:  you can't be too rich or too thin or have too much CPU, but...

So my master backend/frontend machine is a 4 year old 1.83 Core 2
Duo.  It does OK but I'm really interested in http live streaming and
it clearly won't keep up with that.  I could see serving up to 3 HLS
clients in our house between iDevices and wireless laptops.  I'd like
to buy something that will last another 4-6 years.

Key loads on the machine:
-master backend recording and commflagging 1080i/720p MPEG2 streams.
-frontend
-MythWeb server
-HLS transcoding and serving (likely MythExpress)
-household fileserver (backups and shared pictures, etc)

The box could be commflagging two recordings, displaying another
program and transcoding up to three streams...and I'm sure
mythfilldatabase would kick off at the same time!

So, how much CPU would all that need?  Could a Core i5 Dual keep up?
Core i7 Quad?

I'd like to keep all these functions on one box because I don't have
a good spot to locate another box.  Also, I think one beefy box is
likely to cost less than two separate machines and chew up less
electricity.

Appreciate any experience that others can offer.

Craig