[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio question

Matthias lists at thyroff.net
Thu May 30 09:21:00 UTC 2013

Hello list,

after connecting an hd projector as second display to my frontend, I
have aspect ratio problems. I hope, somebody here on the list can point
me to a solution.

I am using a PC with an nvidia graphics card connected via DVI to a 24"
1920x1080 monitor, everything works nicely.

Then I connect an hd projector to the hdmi output of the graphics card.
I have configured xorg.conf with nvidia-settings to start this
configuration as cloned display, the DVI monitor 60Hz, the projector
50Hz (I am in Europe), sync to the projector.

In this configuration, all my 16:9 tv content will be displayed
letter-boxed with black bars on top and bottom of the screen, squeezed
vertically, on both screens. In the preview thumb in the watch recorded
screen, the aspect ratio is drawn correctly. (There are no black bars in
the menus, just when a video is played). Also mplayer plays the
recordings with the correct aspect ratio.

I have to set the aspect ratio in myth to 4:3 to get a correct display.
If I do this in the video configuration settings, I will get 4:3
programs streteched vertically, so this is not the solution I am looking
for.

xdpyinfo shows the same information (1920x1080 pixels, 93x94dpi) in both
configurations, with and without the projector.

Where do I have to look for a solution for this, has anybody experienced
the same thing?

Thanks in advance,

Matthias