[mythtv-users] 'Failed to Delete File' from within Video Library

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Thu May 30 03:02:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Jeremy Jones
<jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:
>
>> On 05/29/2013 10:12 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I recently started downloading a few video podcasts (Everything
>>> perfectly legal).  The video file is placed in a folder in my video library
>>> so that I can watch them from myth.  When I finish watching one, I would
>>> like to be able to delete it.  When I tried by pressing 'd' I first get a
>>> prompt, "Are you sure you sure you want to delete:..." Upon selecting 'OK'
>>> I get a second message informing me, "Failed to delete file".
>>>
>>> I have checked the permissions and I don't see a problem.  I tried
>>> changing the parent folder's owner to 'mythtv' as well as all the files.  I
>>> can delete the file from within thunar using the same user that runs
>>> mythfrontend.
>>>

>> It's mythbackend that does the deleting when you use Storage Groups.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Thanks.  I thought that may be the case, which is why I changed the owner
> and group to mythtv.  That's the user that is running mythbackend.  I just
> checked it with htop just to be sure. My local user that is running
> mythfrontend is a member of the mythtv group, which is why I can delete the
> file with thunar.
>
> Is there a setting in mythbackend that could be preventing it, or are you
> suggesting it is a user permission thing? I would do a, 'su mythtv' and
> test the permissions, but I don't know that users password.
>
> Jeremy

Solved! Now I feel like an idiot.  I just did a 'scan for changes' and went
back to the file and tried again and this time it worked.

I'm guessing that mythBackend 'knew' it didn't have permission based on the
file permissions when the library was 'scanned' previously.

Does that sound at all right?  Seems kind-of strange.  I fought with this
off and on for the past several days and I actually made the permission
changes last night.  I know I tried to delete a file again just a few
minutes before I posted, so the only change in the setup I can think of is
the, 'scan for changes' that I just did.

Sorry for the bother, thanks for the help.

Jeremy