[mythtv-users] audioinputalsa.cpp:336 (AlsaBad) AudioInALSA(default:CARD=CA0106): pcm open failed: Invalid argument

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue May 28 13:54:02 UTC 2013

hi

On 28 May 2013 07:21, Dave Matthews <n36078 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The record test didn''t do what I expected.  I tried it for all of fthe DEV
> numbers.  None of the recordings gave me sound but a couple gave I/O errors.
> When I used the Ubuntu sound sttings tool and click on certain input us for
> the cared I hear the sound in the speakesr.

I think the incorrect advice above mislead you greatly and confused you further.

what you have done above, going into the audio settings, scanning for
devices: is only for playback. not recording.
this is only to configure your PC so it knows which audio card to use to play.

first let's fix your playback settings that you've now screwed up:
from the log, your system is currently using pulse, so you could
continue using pulse.
Go into the setup -> audio and select the Pulse:default device.
or select one of the alsa device. knowing that if you select an alsa
device, you won't be able to play audio outside of myth, while myth
playback is going... also via pulse, you'll only get stereo. if you're
using an external audio amp, or digital audio: you'll want to use
alsa.

As for recording...  this is configured elsewhere, and has nothing to
do with mythfrontend...

> htpc at htpc:~/Desktop$ arecord -D hw:CARD=CA0106 -r 48000 -f S16_LE -c 2 -d 5
> -t wav test.wav

it's normal that you're not hearing anything.. this is a utility to
record, not to play.

if you want to test playback, you need to use aplay
try aplay test.wav
that's you've just recorded: do you hear anything?

this will go via the default audio you've defined

repeat via all the other capture card until you find one where you're
hearing something when playing the result test.wav file

now to configure audio capture, you set this up using mythtv-setup
and go into capture card. edit your existing analog input and
configure the audio device there.

this wiki entry may help you:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/PCI_TV_audio

now I have to ask:
why only upgrade to 0.25? latest is 0.26...